|| Sunday announcements
Aug. 18 • 2019
20th Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Elder of the week: Greg McNair
- Greeters: Lynn and Mike Barnwell
Acolyte: Sully Curry
Time with the children: Pate Cardwell
Nursery (if needed): Ginny Kleinschmidt and Tara Morrow
- Sound technicians: Marvin King and Al Sprouse
Projectionist: Andrew King
- Worship elder: Greg McNair
“Running on Empty”
— The Rev. Keith Cardwell
♦ Scripture: Hebrews 11:29–12:2
— 8 a.m. —
►Worship service in the historic chapel
— 9 —
■ Sunday school:
• Adult Bible study, in room 2 in the annex, is led by Cheryl Jensen. They are continuing
“A Chronological Study of the New Testament.”
• Adult class, “Snacks With Susan and Daryl,” led by Susan and Daryl Pichoff,
is taking a break and will resume Aug. 25.
• Classes for children and youth will resume in September.
■ Chancel choir rehearsal in the music room
— 10 —
►Worship service in the sanctuary
Hearing assistance devices are available in the back of the sanctuary. Please see a greeter.
• After “Time with the children,” those in preschool and younger may go to the nursery.
• Children’s church for grades K–4 will resume in September.
■ We will collect our “two cents a meal” offering. This goes to our local schools in providing meals or snacks for children in need.
■ The session meets immediately after the 8:00 and 10:00 services to receive people into membership. If God is leading you to become a part of this church family, please come forward at that time.
■ Fellowship time will resume Sept. 8 after a summer break.
Monday, Aug. 19 — Session meeting, 6:30 p.m. in room 2 in the annex
Tuesday, Aug. 20 — Presbytery of South Alabama summer meeting, 8:30 a.m. at Foley First. Those attending from Swift are Pastors Keith and Jody Beth, and Elder Pate Cardwell and Clerk of Session Sue Ann Lay.
Wednesday, Aug. 21 — Adult handbell choir rehearsal resumes, 5:30 p.m.
Friday, Aug. 23 — English as a second language class, 9 to 11 a.m. in the fellowship hall
Friday, Aug. 23 — Newsletter deadline
Sunday, Aug. 25 — “Snacks with Susan and Daryl” Sunday school class resumes with Adam Hamilton’s “The Call,” which details the journeys and teachings of the apostle Paul. They meet in the fellowship hall with lively conversations and discussions — plus yummy snacks.
Wednesday, Aug. 28 — Food pantry distribution; volunteers are Susie Alexander and Janelle Armbruster.
Wednesday, Aug. 28 — Handbell choir rehearsal, 5:30 p.m. in the sanctuary
Friday, Aug. 30 — English as a second language class, 9 to 11 a.m. in the fellowship hall
Sunday, Sept. 1 — The Lord’s Supper will be served by intinction at both services.
Sunday, Sept. 1 — Food pantry collection day
Sunday, Sept. 1 — Pastor Jody Beth and Jane Capsis will lead worship and music at Live Oak, 1 p.m. All are invited and welcome.
Thursday, Sept. 5 — “Two or More” lunch, 11:30 a.m. at O’Charley’s. This is for anyone who enjoys eating and Christian fellowship.
Friday, Sept. 6 — English as a second language class, 9 to 11 a.m. in the fellowship hall
Sunday, Sept. 8 — Children and youth Sunday school resumes, 9 a.m.
|• Welcome to visitors |
If you are a first-time visitor, we would like to welcome you with a “welcome bag” that includes information about our church plus some goodies. Swift Church is known for our hospitality and we want to get to know and welcome you. We hope you will come back to visit and will want to become a part of our church.
Today at 5 p.m. in the worship center of First Baptist Church, Gulf Shores, you can enjoy a true Southern gospel concert filled with your favorite hymns and gospel medleys performed by that church’s celebration choir and orchestra, vocalists, and special groups. The worship center is expected to fill up quickly, so you should get there early for a good seat. Doors open at 4.
Next Sunday, Aug. 25
Greeters: Kim Whitchard and Judy Walker
Acolytes: Cadi Cardwell and McCoy Cooper
Time with the children: Debbie Schmidt
Nursery: Pate and Brett Cardwell
If you would like to reserve a date to provide flowers for our Sunday morning services, you can:
■ call Susie Alexander at 251-943-4145
■ sign up on the flower chart in the narthex or in the back of the chapel
■ or contact the church office at 943-8367 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have many open dates for this summer. We also have vases available if you would like to borrow one to make your own arrangement.
• Happy 80th Birthday to Brenda Dombrowski
• Baylee sang the national anthem
at a recent teacher in-service.
• Many of our youth helped to serve the staff
of Elberta Elementary at our appreciation luncheon.
• Thanks to Mark Melton and his crew
for the wonderful fellowship lunch last week.
• Mimi and Johnny have a new great-grandson.
• Teresa Thomas has a new great-niece.
A FEW MORE NOTES . . .
● Copies of Our Daily Bread and magazines are available at the back of the church.
● Please use the prayer request cards found in the pews to add someone to our “joys and concerns” list. You can submit prayers and joys online through the church website.
● Written and audio copies of sermons can be found on the church website.
|Pray for our mission workers in Africa. |
• Inge and Larry Sthreshley
in Democratic Republic of Congo
|Pray for military friends and families. |
• Sgt. 1C Marc Barkley: Afghanistan
• SPC Seth Pickens: Afghanistan
• Dennis Trey Brown: U.S. Army, Afghanistan
• Zane Brewer: U.S. Marine Corps, Jacksonville, N.C.
• David Esparza: U.S. Marine Corps, Jacksonville, N.C.
• Jeffrey Cain: U.S. Coast Guard, St. Petersburg, Fla.
• Jeremy Rechkemmer: U.S. Army in Stuttgart, Germany
• Jeremy Linn
• Cody Havel: U.S. Navy, Jacksonville, Fla.
• M.Sgt. Jason Rogers: U.S. Marine Corps, Nashville, Tenn.
SWIFT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The Rev. Keith Cardwell, pastor: 251-923-6961
Jody Beth Melton, commissioned lay pastor:
Lisa Cardwell, music director
Abby Sikes, preschool director
Church office: 251-943-8367