|| Sunday announcements
May 12 • 2019
Fourth Sunday of Easter
- Elder of the month: Mike Barnwell
- Greeters: Jane King and Lee Mansell
Acolyte: Lainey Thomas
- Children’s church: Lezli and Kenny Thomason
- Time with the children: Teresa Thomas
- Nursery (if needed): Pate and Brett Cardwell
- Sound technicians: Marvin King and Al Sprouse
Projectionist: Andrew King
- Fellowship elders: Kathy Knipe and Tina Sprouse
Worship elder: Greg McNair
“Putting Women Back Into the Story”
— The Rev. Lauren Peters
♦ Scripture: Exodus 1:15–21
Happy Mother’s Day!
— 8 a.m. —
►Worship service in the historic chapel
— 9 —
Sunday school classes for all ages:
♦ Sunday school at 9:
• Adult Bible study, in room 2 in the annex, led by Cheryl Jensen.
Continuing “A Chronological Study of the New Testament.
• Since it is Mother’s Day, classes for children and youth
and the adult discussion class “Snacks with Susan
and Daryl” will not meet today.
— 10 —
►Worship service in the sanctuary
Hearing assistance devices are available in the back of the sanctuary. Please see a greeter.
• After “Time with the children,” those in preschool and younger may go to the nursery.
Children in grades K–4 may go to children’s church.
— 11:15 —
►Fellowship — Please join us for conversation and light refreshments in the fellowship hall
as we celebrate Mother’s Day.
♦ Flowers today are given by Bill and Pat Rickert to the glory of God.
♦ Pastor Jody Beth will lead the Art in the Park worship service this morning at 8:30 at the fountain in Heritage Park in downtown Foley. She will be back to lead 10:00 services here at Swift.
♦ We celebrated Preschool Teacher Appreciation Week this week. Thanks to all the teachers and their dedication to our children who attend.
WELCOME TO THE PULPIT TODAY
THE REV. LAUREN PETERS
Rev. Lauren Peters serves as the minister at UKirk, the PC(USA) campus ministry at the University of South Alabama. When she’s not hanging out with college students way past her bedtime, she spends her time with her husband, Chris, the other Rev. Peters, and their dog child, Mobi, at their home in Daphne. Swift holds a special place in Lauren’s heart as the place that welcomed her to Alabama after her time in seminary in 2014. She served as Swift’s children and youth ministry consultant for two years.
Sunday, May 12 — Chancel choir rehearsal, 9 a.m. in the music room
Sunday, May 12 — Bible study on the book of Genesis will not meet today.
Wednesday, May 15 — Handbell choir rehearsal, 5:30 p.m. in the sanctuary
Thursday, May 16 — Butterfly Girls and Guys’ Night Out, 6:30 p.m. at Gelato Joe’s in Foley
Friday, May 17 — English as a second language class, 9 to 11 a.m. in the fellowship hall
Sunday, May 19 — Chancel choir rehearsal, 9 a.m. in the music room
Sunday, May 19 — Pastor Kim Vanbrimmer from Orange Beach Presbyterian will preach at Swift.
Sunday, May 19 — Handbells will play at 10:00 service.
Sunday, May 19 — Preschool graduation at 10:00 service
Sunday, May 19 — Bible study on the book of Genesis concludes, 5:30 to 6:45 p.m. in room 2 in the annex. (A new study will start in September.)
Sunday, May 19 — Last youth/child Sunday school classes until September
Wednesday, May 22 — Handbell choir gathering to polish bells, 5:30 p.m. in the sanctuary
Wednesday, May 22 — Food pantry distribution, 10 a.m. to noon
Thursday, May 23 — Genesis Bible study groups meet for lunch, 11:30 a.m. at Ginny Lane’s at the Wharf
Friday, May 24 — English as a second language class, 9 to 11 a.m. in the fellowship hall
FOOD PANTRY NEEDS
Please help us stock our shelves with the following items:
Canned beans, fruits, soups, vegetables, tuna and other meats; boxed macaroni and cheese, instant potatoes, dry milk, hot and cold cereals; dried beans, rice, spaghetti pasta and sauce; peanut butter, jelly, and white bread.
Pastor Keith continues his sabbatical leave. He will be attending conferences, doing self-study, and strengthening his overall physical, spiritual, and emotional health. He will return to the office on Monday, July 15. Please keep him and Lisa in your prayers. If you have pastoral needs, please contact Pastor Jody Beth, your deacon, an elder or the church office.
OPPORTUNITIES TO HELP WITH FELLOWSHIP TIME
Your fellowship deacons, Kathy Knipe and Tina Sprouse, would appreciate your help in providing healthful and sweet snacks for fellowship time after 10:00 worship and/or your help with cleanup duty. A signup sheet is located in the fellowship hall. We have a lot of availability after today. Reimbursement for expenses is available.
Thank you to all who have signed up in the past few months. Everyone is enjoying the variety of fellowship treats.
Next Sunday, May 19
Greeters: Danny and Paula Brewer
Acolytes: ZoeyLynn and Zadie Grace Barnwell
Nursery (if needed): Pate and Brett Cardwell
Children’s church: Debbie Schmidt and Megan Curry
“Time with the children”: None today
SANCTUARY FLOWER SCHEDULING
Please contact Susie Alexander to reserve your date.
Call Susie or the office to sign up. You can reach Susie at 251-943-4145 or at email@example.com
• Birthdays — Betty Carneal and Phil Melton • Gail’s sister, Anna McCormick, is feeling better.
• Cathy Rogers’ friends David and Maureen were visiting.
A FEW MORE NOTES . . .
● Copies of Our Daily Bread and magazines are available at the back of the church.
● Please use the prayer request cards found in the pews to add someone to our “joys and concerns” list. You can submit prayers and joys online through the church website.
● Written and audio copies of sermons can be found on the church website, www.swiftchurch.org.
PLEASE PRAY FOR OUR MISSION WORKERS IN AFRICA
• Inge and Larry Sthreshley
(in the Democratic Republic of Congo)
PLEASE REMEMBER OUR MILITARY FRIENDS AND FAMILIES
IN YOUR PRAYERS
• Sgt. 1st Class Marc Barkley and SPC Seth Pickens: Afghanistan
• Zane Brewer and David Esparza: U.S. Marine Corps, Jacksonville, North Carolina
• Jeffrey Cain: U.S. Coast Guard, St. Petersburg, Florida • Jeremy Rechkemmer: U.S. Army in Stuttgart, Germany
• Cody Havel: U.S. Navy, Jacksonville, Florida • Capt. Jeremy Timm: National Guard
• M.Sgt. Jason Rogers (Cathy’s son): U.S. Marine Corps, San Diego, California
• Rich Kleen: Vance Air Force Base, Enid, Oklahoma
SWIFT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The Rev. Keith Cardwell, pastor (on sabbatical)
Jody Beth Melton, commissioned lay pastor: 251-213-6625
Lisa Cardwell, music director Ashley Cooper, preschool director
Church office: 251-943-8367 Preschool: 251-200-3840