|| Sunday announcements
June 2 • 2019
• Seventh Sunday of Easter
• Ascension of the Lord
- Elder of the month: Brett Cardwell
- Greeters: Sue Ann Lay and Linda Walden
Acolytes: To be determined
- Time with the children: Cathy Rogers
Nursery (if needed): Ginny Kleinschmidt and Tara Morrow
- Sound technicians: Marvin King and Al Sprouse
Projectionist: Devery Thomas
- Fellowship elders: Kathy Knipe and Tina Sprouse
Worship elder: Greg McNair
“Living in the ‘In-Between’ Times”
— The Rev. Dr. Julian Walthall
♦ Scripture: • Acts 11:1–11 • Luke 24:44–53
— 8 a.m. —
►Worship service in the historic chapel
— 9 —
Sunday school for all ages:
• Adult Bible study, in room 2 in the annex, is led by Cheryl Jensen. They are continuing
“A Chronological Study of the New Testament.”
• Adult class in the fellowship hall, “Snacks With Susan and Daryl,” is led by Susan and Daryl Pichoff.
They are discussing Philip Yancy’s study on prayer. Topic: “Keeping Company With God.”
• Classes for children and youth will resume in September.
— 10 —
►Worship service in the sanctuary
Hearing assistance devices are available in the back of the sanctuary. Please see a greeter.
• After “Time with the children,” those in preschool and younger may go to the nursery.
• Children’s church for grades K–4 will resume in September.
— 11:15 —
Fellowship — Please join us for conversation and light refreshments in the fellowship hall.
♦ We welcome the Rev. Dr. Julian W. Walthall to the pulpit today.
♦ 8:00 service — Jack Williams will sing a solo in celebration of the late Cecil Gartman’s birthday. He will sing one of Cecil’s favorite songs, “I Want To Stroll Over Heaven With You.”
♦ Today we will serve the Lord’s Supper at both services by intinction. All are welcome to come to the table.
♦ Today is also food pantry donation day. As the Lord feeds us with His Holy Spirit during communion, we ask you to help us feed the hungry.
♦ Pastor Jody Beth and Jane Capsis will lead worship at Live Oak at 1 p.m.
♦ Flowers today are given by Bill and Pat Rickert to the glory of God.
♦ Copies of our June newsletter, “Our Daily Bread” and “Presbyterians Today” are available in the back of the church. Please pick up yours today.
Sunday, June 2 — Chancel choir rehearsal, scheduled for 9 a.m. in the music room, has been canceled.
Sunday, June 2 — Pastor Jody Beth, accompanied by Jane Capsis, will lead worship at Live Oak at 1 p.m. All are welcome to attend.
Thursday, June 6 — “Two or More” fellowship lunch, 11:30 a.m. at O’Charley’s at 11:30 a.m.
Friday, June 7 — English as a second language class, 9 to 11 a.m. in the fellowship hall
Saturday, June 8 — Youth return from Montreat conference
Sunday, June 9 Day of Pentecost — The Rev. Lauren Peters will preach. Please wear something red.
Sunday, June 9 — “Moment for mission” for UKirk; we will take up a special offering for UKirk (campus ministry at the University of South Alabama)
Sunday, June 9 — Preschool board meeting after 10:00 worship
Wednesday, June 12 — Food pantry distribution, 10 a.m. to noon
Friday, June 14 — English as a second language class, 9 to 11 a.m. in the fellowship hall
Sunday, June 16 — Trinity Sunday and Father’s Day — Bring out your Hawaiian shirts and dresses as we celebrate all men of the church Swift-style.
Sunday, June 16 — We will collect our “two cents a meal” offering. This monthly offering will go toward alleviating hunger in local schools.
Sunday, June 16 — Session members will meet after both services to welcome those who God is leading to become members of Swift Church.
Friday and Saturday, July 12 and 13 — Vacation Bible school at Swift
WELCOME TO THE PULPIT TODAY
THE REV. DR. JULIAN W. WALTHALL
The Rev. Dr. Julian W. Walthall is a native of Newbern, up in Alabama’s Black Belt. He retired in 2012 after serving four churches over 39 years; three in the Presbytery of South Alabama and one in West Virginia. He and his wife, Carolyn, live in Daphne. They have two sons: David, an English and political science teacher at a university in Siena, Italy, and Claiborne, an environmental attorney in Albany, N.Y. In retirement, Julian is active in the Baldwin County Master Gardeners and manages a family farm in the Black Belt, where he enjoys gardening, fishing and hunting. The Walthalls try to see their two grandchildren in upstate New York as often as possible.
Pastor Keith continues his sabbatical leave. He will be attending conferences, doing self-study, and strengthening his overall physical, spiritual, and emotional health. He will return to the office on Monday, July 15. Please keep him and Lisa in your prayers. If you have pastoral needs, please contact Pastor Jody Beth, your deacon, an elder or the church office.
OPPORTUNITIES TO HELP WITH FELLOWSHIP TIME
Please check the signup sheet in the fellowship hall to see how you can help provide snacks or help with cleanup and setup for fellowship time after 10:00 worship.
Next Sunday, June 9
Greeters: Susie Alexander and Janelle Armbruster
Acolyte: Lainey Thomas
Time with the children: Lynn Aspray
Nursery (if needed): Ginny Kleinschmidt and Tara Morrow
SAVE THE DATE
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL will be Friday night, July 12, and Saturday, July 13.
SANCTUARY FLOWER SCHEDULING
Please contact Susie Alexander to reserve your date.
Call Susie or the office to sign up. You can reach Susie at 251-943-4145 or at email@example.com
• Birthdays: Kathie LeDrew and Kathy Menk
• Congratulations to all students who received awards.
• Diya Patterson again received the President’s Award for Academic Excellence.
• Shirley McCausland is doing much better.
• Karen Croxell came home on Saturday.
• Gail’s sister Anna is doing well.
• Seven youth and two adult chaperones from the Foley area are experiencing Montreat Conference this week.
A FEW MORE NOTES . . .
● Copies of Our Daily Bread and magazines are available at the back of the church.
● Please use the prayer request cards found in the pews to add someone to our “joys and concerns” list. You can submit prayers and joys online through the church website.
● Written and audio copies of sermons can be found on the church website, www.swiftchurch.org.
| Please pray for our mission workers in Africa |
• Inge and Larry Sthreshley
in Democratic Republic of Congo
| Please remember our military friends and families in your prayers |
• Sgt. 1C Marc Barkley: Afghanistan
• SPC Seth Pickens: Afghanistan
• Zane Brewer: U.S. Marine Corps, Jacksonville, N.C.
• David Esparza: U.S. Marine Corps, Jacksonville, N.C.
• Jeffrey Cain: U.S. Coast Guard, St. Petersburg, Fla.
• Jeremy Rechkemmer: U.S. Army in Stuttgart, Germany
• Cody Havel: U.S. Navy, Jacksonville, Fla.
• Capt. Jeremy Timm: National Guard
• M.Sgt. Jason Rogers: U.S. Marine Corps, San Diego, Calif.
• Rich Kleen: Vance Air Force Base, Enid, Okla.
SWIFT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The Rev. Keith Cardwell, pastor (on sabbatical)
Jody Beth Melton, commissioned lay pastor: 251-213-6625
Lisa Cardwell, music director Ashley Cooper, preschool director
Church office: 251-943-8367 Preschool: 251-200-3840