|| Sunday announcements
July 14 • 2019
• 15th Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Elder of the month: Pate Cardwell
- Greeters: Danny and Paula Brewer
Acolytes: ZoeyLynn and Zadie Grace Barnwell
Nursery (if needed): Ginny Kleinschmidt and Tara Morrow
- Sound technicians: Marvin King and Al Sprouse
Projectionist: Bridgit Gosa
- Worship elder: Greg McNair
“The New Creation”
— The Rev. Bert Tuggle
♦ Scripture: Luke 15:11–32
— 8 a.m. —
►Worship service in the historic chapel
— 9 —
• Adult Bible study, in room 2 in the annex, is led by Cheryl Jensen. They are continuing
“A Chronological Study of the New Testament.”
• Adult class, “Snacks With Susan and Daryl,” led by Susan and Daryl Pichoff,
is taking a break and will resume Aug. 25.
• Classes for children and youth will resume in September.
— 10 —
►Worship service in the sanctuary
Hearing assistance devices are available in the back of the sanctuary. Please see a greeter.
• After “Time with the children,” those in preschool and younger may go to the nursery.
• Children’s church for grades K–4 will resume in September.
♦ Join the VBS participants and helpers for hot dogs and water slide fun after the 10:00 worship service. Everyone is welcome.
♦ We welcome the Rev. Bert Tuggle to the pulpit today. Rev. Tuggle grew up in Evergreen. He graduated from Rhodes College and Union Seminary. He served churches in Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Florida, serving Swift Presbyterian Church from 1978 to 1989. After retiring in 2004, he was the parish associate at Spanish Fort Presbyterian Church and was stated supply for several churches in our presbytery. He enjoys his family, fishing and woodturning.
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL
“ROAR! Life Is Wild — God Is Good!”
At “ROAR!” vacation Bible school, our kids explored God’s goodness and celebrated a ferocious faith that powers them through this wild life. Thank you to the many volunteers who helped. The VBS children will be singing their songs at the 10:00 service.
Monday, July 15 — Welcome Back to the office, Pastor Keith!
Monday, July 15 — Session will not meet this evening.
Thursday, July 18 — Butterfly Girls and Guys’ Night Out, 6:30 p.m. at Boggy’s on U.S. 98 just east of Weeks Bay/Fish River bridge. This is a new place, so if you need directions or want to make reservations, contact Mary McNair at 251-295-5267.
Friday, July 19 — English as a second language class, 9 to 11 a.m.
Sunday, July 21 — Pastor Keith returns to the pulpit from his sabbatical. Welcome back!
Sunday, July 21 — We will collect our “two cents a meal” offering. This now goes to our local schools in providing meals or snacks for children in need. We will also have a “moment for mission” for this offering.
Sunday, July 21 — The session meets immediately after the 8:00 and 10:00 services to receive people into membership. If God is leading you to become a part of this church family, please come forward at that time.
Tuesday, July 23 — The last of four presbytery small-church forums, 11 a.m. at Providence Presbyterian Church, Mobile
Wednesday, July 24 — Food pantry distribution, 10 a.m. until noon
Thursday, July 25 — Preschool “Christmas in July”
Friday, July 26 — Last day of preschool summer program
Friday, July 26 — English as a second language class, 9 to 11 a.m.
Thursday, Aug. 1 — “Two or More” fellowship lunch, 11:30 a.m. at O’Charley’s; everyone is always invited and welcome to join.
Friday, Aug. 2 — English as a second language class, 9 to 11 a.m.
Sunday, Aug. 4 — We will serve the Lord’s Supper at both services by intinction.
Sunday, Aug. 4 — Food pantry donation day
Sunday, Aug. 4 — Pastor Keith and Lisa will lead worship at Live Oak, 1 p.m.
Thursday, Aug. 8 — Swift’s missions committee will host a teacher appreciation lunch for Elberta Elementary teachers in our fellowship hall.
Next Sunday, July 21
Greeters: Debbie and Norm Schmidt
Acolyte: Sully Curry
Time with the children: Pate Cardwell
Nursery (if needed): Megan Curry and Debbie Schmidt
SANCTUARY FLOWER SCHEDULING
Please contact Susie Alexander to reserve a date to honor a special occasion, birthday, anniversary, in memory of someone special, or just because you want to. You can reach Susie at 251-943-4145 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or you can sign up on the flower chart in the narthex or in the back of the chapel.
They don’t have to be an expensive bouquet or arrangement, but something out of your own garden can be just as beautiful. We have many open dates for this summer. We also have vases available if you would like to borrow one. Check with the church office.
• Birthdays — Sue Ann Lay and Madison Lay
• The youth are commended for their excellent service last week. A big shout out to Pastor Kim from Orange Beach Presbyterian and Foley First Youth Director Logan Lane, who went with the youth. You can tell by the service that these young adults were touched by God at Montreat. Job well done!
A FEW MORE NOTES . . .
● Copies of Our Daily Bread and magazines are available at the back of the church.
● Please use the prayer request cards found in the pews to add someone to our “joys and concerns” list. You can submit prayers and joys online through the church website.
● Written and audio copies of sermons can be found on the church website, www.swiftchurch.org.
| Please pray for our mission workers in Africa. |
• Inge and Larry Sthreshley
in Democratic Republic of Congo
| Please remember our military friends and families in your prayers. |
• Sgt. 1C Marc Barkley: Afghanistan
• SPC Seth Pickens: Afghanistan
• Zane Brewer: U.S. Marine Corps, Jacksonville, N.C.
• David Esparza: U.S. Marine Corps, Jacksonville, N.C.
• Jeffrey Cain: U.S. Coast Guard, St. Petersburg, Fla.
• Jeremy Rechkemmer: U.S. Army in Stuttgart, Germany
• Cody Havel: U.S. Navy, Jacksonville, Fla.
• Capt. Jeremy Timm: National Guard
• M.Sgt. Jason Rogers: U.S. Marine Corps, Nashville, Tenn.
SWIFT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The Rev. Keith Cardwell, pastor: 251-923-6961
Jody Beth Melton, commissioned lay pastor: 251-213-6625
Lisa Cardwell, music director Ashley Cooper, preschool director
Church office: 251-943-8367 Preschool: 251-200-3840